Pasta with chicken, tomatoes and basil

On Sunday night I felt like I could finally do something so I decided dinner would probably be appreciated. Nathan went to the garden and picked some fresh basil, we sliced some sugar plum tomatoes (you could use grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes), and went to work.

I boiled a box of thin spaghetti pasta (I have been using Barilla whole wheat pasta because it is so much healthier with protein and AHA Omega 3 added) and cooked 2 chicken half breasts seasoned with salt and garlic powder. Shredded the chicken and put it to the side.

In a skillet I put enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan and added the tomatoes with some salt and cooked it on medium heat for about three minutes, gently stirring a couple of times. I then added two cloves of minced garlic and cooked it two or three minutes longer being careful not to burn the garlic. I added half of the pasta and tossed it with the tomatoes. I transferred the pasta and tomatoes to a large bowl and added the rest of the cooked pasta. I then drizzled the pasta with olive oil, tossed, added most of the chicken, tossed and added the basil....and tossed. I grated a good chunk of Parmesan cheese (don't you love the way I measure), probably about a handful and a half of finely grated cheese, and added some fresh cracked pepper and once again tossed.

This is what we ended up with. The kids LOVED it and all went back for seconds (funny how no one wanted seconds of the green beans I made on the side).












The tomatoes simmering, Nathan loved eating them right out of the pan.






After dinner I was wiped out so I went back to playing dead, but it seems that the time and effort were worth it though because the kids were very happy.

Comments

Popular Posts