Tomatoes

All of a sudden had a lot of tomatoes. I had purchased some from the produce people and a day later was lucky to receive another bag full as a gift from someones garden. Nathan and I love tomatoes, we will eat them alone as a snack. Tara will eat them on or in her food but not alone. And Ryan, well, he will eat them but they are not his favorite.

I decided I could not let them go to waste and set about making as many things as possible using tomatoes. One thing I thought would be a nice change and kind of fun was a tomato and cheese tart on filo dough. Being that my head has hurt for four days now it was a slow process but I just couldn't let it go.

The kids and Monte all loved it. I didn't think to get a picture of the tart when it came out of the oven, but it looked great. I did finally take a picture as I put what little was left on plate.
From Goodies
(I really need to stop using my cell phone camera)

Last night I made Bruschetta which the boys put away pretty quickly, so I have used up about half of the tomatoes.

It does take some time to make the tart because of the filo dough but it is definitely worth it. Be sure to slice the tomato and onion very thin so your crust doesn't get soggy.

Filo Tomato Tart

Ingredients
7 sheets filo dough, thawed
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
7 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 cup very thinly sliced onion
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
6 Roma tomatoes, cut into 1/8-in.-thick slices
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
Salt (optional, I didn't use)
freshly ground black pepper (optional, I didn't use)

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray paper with cooking-oil spray (or brush lightly with vegetable oil). Lay 1 sheet filo on paper and brush lightly with a little melted butter. Sprinkle all over with 1 tbsp. Parmesan. Repeat layering 5 more times (with filo, butter, and Parmesan), pressing each sheet firmly so it sticks to sheet below. Lay the last filo sheet on top, brush with remaining melted butter, and sprinkle on remaining 1 tbsp. Parmesan.
2. Scatter onion across filo, top with mozzarella, and arrange tomato slices in a single layer, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Bake until filo is golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes, then serve.

Comments

Popular Posts