It buckles!

So I was looking in the refrigerator the other day and noticed the kids were not eating the nectarines as quickly as I thought they would. I decided to use them in something baked and change things up a little so the kids interest in the fruit would be renewed. I thought about it for a few hours and looked through my recipes and decided to make Buckle.

Buckle is a coffee cake with fruit and a crumble topping. It is called buckle because the cake buckles arounds the fruit.

I had some blackberries also so I went to work. The nectarines were sweet and juicy, I sliced them up and prepared the batter. I love fresh ground nugmet so I use it a little heavily, and I choose almond extract instead of vanilla. The result was great! Moist, sweet and a little spicy.

Of course I took pictues (the kids think I am insane).


NECTARINE BLACKBERRY BUCKLE CAKE

For the Batter:

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 stick (4 Tbls.) of butter, softened
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk (I used evaporated milk)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, preferably freshly ground
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon Almond or vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (I used some that I froze recently and put them in frozen)
1 cup nectarines, sliced

For the Streusel:

3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
5-1/2 tablespoons butter, softened

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease and line, with parchment paper, a nine inch square pan or grease and flour either a nine inch square or a round pan.

First make the batter. Cream together the butter and sugar. Then add the egg and mix at medium speed for about one minute. Add all of your dry ingredients and mix well. Mix in the milk and the almond extract. Scrape down the bowl while you are mixing these together.

Now make the streusel. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, almond extract and salt. Add your butter, mixing until you have medium sized crumbs.

Spread about half of the batter in your prepared pan. Then layer the nectarine slices on top of the batter. Fold the blackberries into the remaining batter, and place dollops of the batter on top of the nectarines. Then sprinkle the streusel over the batter.

Bake the buckle for 45-50 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool the cake in the pan.

ENJOY!

Comments

Popular Posts