Lavender Rice Pudding

It has been a little while since I have posted. I know, I am bad. I have several things I would like to share with you and hope to post them all in the next few days.

First - Lavender Rice Pudding.  Oh my gosh! Or as a very cute toddler says Oh By Dosh!

I have recently seen many blog posts about rice pudding. Many people have a little something different they like to do with it, but it basically comes down to rice, milk/cream and sugar. For about a week I thought about making rice pudding and decided I wanted to infuse it with Lavender. The kids thought I was crazy, nothing new, but teased me relentlessly humored me as usual. In the end they were very happy with the results. I did cook it a little longer that I would have liked so it was slightly less creamy than how I usually prefer, but it was still very, very good.  Slightly sweet, creamy with a hint of lavender.  YUM!

Lavender Rice Pudding

1-1/2 cups water
3/4 short grain rice (I used long grain because it is what I had and it worked great)
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups nonfat milk
2 cups heavy cream
3 Tbls. loose herbal lavender tea (3 tea bags should do if you don't have loose tea)
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbl. vanilla paste (1-1/2 tsp. real vanilla extract)

Cook rice, salt and water over low heat, covered, until water is absorbed.

Meanwhile combine milk and heavy cream in sauce pan, add tea, heat on medium until heated through but not simmering. Remove from heat and allow tea to infuse for about 10 to 12 minutes.
Strain milk through a fine sieve if you used loose tea.

Add sugar, infused milk/cream and vanilla to the cooked rice. Cook over a medium fire, uncovered, stirring occasionally until rice is soft and mixture has thickened a little, about 25 minutes. Stop cooking right before you think it is done, it will thicken upon standing.
(Can you see the vanilla bean seeds?  They are small, and let's face it, I need a better camera, but they are definitely there)
Divide into small bowls or serving bowl and serve warm or cold (I prefer warm). If by some chance your family/friends/stranger who knocked on your door when he smelled this cooking don't eat it all, store it in the refrigerator with plastic wrap pressed against the pudding in order to prevent a 'skin' from forming.

Comments

  1. Thanks for your lovely comments regarding the Pan de Camote. You will love it, it's a Peruvian brioche, just as rich and delicious. Your lavender rice looks and sounds like the pudding I have been seeking for a while! I will try it soon. By the way, I love your philosophy on life...Milagritos from mothertucka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Oh my gosh is right! That looks absolutely fantastic!

    Btw, thank you for visiting my blog. :) I'm liking yours, I follow you now! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts