Mediterranean Salad with Quinoa

I haven't been feeling well and therefore have not done much cooking recently. I decided I wanted a Mediterranean salad with orzo but when I went to Trader Joe's they didn't have any in stock. Since I was not willing to go anywhere else I decided I would use Quinoa. I served it warm but it is good cold, in fact I think the flavors come together more if you let it sit for a while, but it worked out well with my garlic lemon chicken and fresh green beans (Ryan & Krystal snapped the beans).

Tara cut most of the vegetables for me. Nathan decided it was not for him (shocking right? Mr. picky) but everyone else liked it. In fact some went back for more several times.

MEDITERRANEAN SALAD WITH QUINOA

2 Cups Quinoa (or 16 ounces orzo)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup Kalamata olives, chopped
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 cup diced seedless cucumber
1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained then chopped
3/4 cup feta cheese
handful chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
freshly ground black pepper to taste
sea salt to taste

Cook Quinoa as instructed on package (be sure you rinse it well before cooking) or prepare Orzo in salted water. Put hot Quinoa into large bowl.

While Quinoa is cooking combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon zest and lemon juice in a small bowl. Pour dressing over hot Quinoa and toss well, let sit for about 5 minutes.

Add the olives, tomatoes, onion, cucumber, artichokes and feta cheese toss, mixing well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Can be served hot, cold or at room temperature.
From Food

Comments

  1. yum... this sounds like a really yummy recipe. I have some quinoa in my cup board waiting to be used.

    I like your blog... thanks for visiting mine :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts