Ryan's Birthday celebration

On Tuesday the 21st my oldest son, Ryan will be 19. About two weeks ago I asked Ryan what he wanted to do for his birthday and he said that he wanted to go to dinner with the family at BJ's Restaurant.

Ryan wanted a pen tablet for his laptop to use with his graphic designs. He has been looking at the different types for months and finally decided on the Bamboo by Wacom. Once I knew exactly what he wanted I ordered it and had it sent to the office. As you know I have this habit of playing tricks on the kids, so having it delivered to the office was important to that he would not know I had gotten him something. I recruited Tara and Nathan and we allowed Ryan to hear a conversation with us discussing his gift and the fact that he could return it if he didn't like it. He said something and Nathan told him that he didn't think he would like what I got but at least Mom said he could exchange it.

Tara and I went to the mall Friday and bought Ryan a shirt at Pacsun to give him as his gift, after all I needed to have a something to give him to convince him he wasn't getting the tablet. I packed the shirt into a small slightly feminine box and made sure he saw that is all we were taking with us to the restaurant. Tara thankfully carries very large purses and was able to just fit the real gift in her purse to keep it hidden.

Dad, Amy, Lisha, Junior, Monte, Adam, Marie and Sebastian met us at the restaurant and we had a good time talking and enjoying each others company. The waiter brought us Ryan a Pazookie (big warm cookie with ice cream on top) and we sang Happy Birthday. Ryan then opened his gifts. He got some really cute cards from Monte and Adam and Marie, Dad and Amy gave him a Brookstone in door remote control helicopter (I think Dad wants one too), Lisha & Junior gave him a shirt and of course it my "gift' was the shirt. After opening all his gifts he thank us all and being the good son didn't show any disappointment in not getting what he really wanted.

We sat and talked for a few minutes and I casually placed the other gift in front of Ryan. He then knew mom was up to something. Needless to say he was very happy.

Here are some pictures of our evening.

Comments

Popular Posts