Quinoa with chicken, black beans and corn

Quinoa is a favorite in my home.  I love how versatile it is.  It can be made savory or sweet and makes a good base for any meal.

Often when I get home from work I have no clue what I will be making for dinner.  I know, I should know better and plan but I really like being able to say 'chicken and pineapple sound really good, what can I make for dinner with those two items?'  A meal plan makes me feel organized but stifled.  Yes, I know I have issues.

This meal was one that came from opening the pantry and thinking that I had far to much corn and black beans, and then realizing how good that sounded for dinner.  Luckily it turned out well and the family really enjoyed it. 
 Quinoa with chicken, black beans and corn

2 carrots, diced small
2 celery stalks, diced small
½ onion, chopped
sea salt
1 Tablespoon canola oil
2 cups uncooked quinoa
3 cups water
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained
1 cup shelled edamame, optional
1 ½ cup shredded chicken breast
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste

Rinse quinoa and allow to drain.

In a 4 to 5 quart pot heat the oil over medium low heat.  Add the carrots, celery and onion and two large pinches of sea salt, stir to combine.  Cook over medium low heat stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until onion is soft and translucent. Do not caramelize the onions.  Add rinsed quinoa, water and bouillon cubes. Stir and cover with a well fitting lid.  Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes without lifting the lid.  

Remove lid and stir quinoa.  If all liquid has been absorbed test for tenderness, add more water if needed and cook until tender and fluffy.  If all the water has not been absorbed when you remove the lid cook quinoa further with the lid off until water is gone and quinoa is tender and fluffy.  

Turn off heat.  Stir in the beans, corn chicken and fresh cilantro.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Comments

Popular Posts