The perfect protein

So have you had those days when you have been sick for what feels like far to many days, the kids are hungry and there is nothing defrosted? Well that was Monday of this week.

I stood, in the middle of my kitchen and wondered what the heck am I going to make that won't take to much energy and will be healthy for the family. I looked in the cupboard and saw the can of kidney beans that has been there for almost a year (for last years chili cookoff). Okay, so that doesn't sound very good, but I did check the experation date and they were fine. As I stood there and stared at the can of beans I decided it was going to be a vegetarian night.....Red Beans and Rice!

So here is what I did:

Ingredients
Olive Oile
3/4 of an onion, chopped
2 stalks of celery, diced
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. garlic (granulated is what I had on hand)
1-1/2 tsp. cumin
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1-1/4 cup uncooked rice
2-1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth (only had low sodium but would usually use regular)

In a large skillet pour enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan, heat. Add onion and celery and cook until soft. Add salt, galic and cumin. Stir and cook another minute or two. Add kidney beans, rice and broth. Cover and cook on meium low to medium until all liquid is obsorbed and rice is tender, add water if rice is not tender when all broth is obsorbed.
From Food


Here is the funny thing, the kids really liked it. They added a little tabasco and a veggie and where perfectly happy. So I guess the lesson here is don't slave over a hot stove forever, kids like the simple stuff just as well, go figure.

Comments

Popular Posts